Corporate Social Responsibility
The Fashion Advocate operates to the highest ethical and sustainable standards possible within our business, and we prioritise people and the environment over profits.
As a business, we encourage and inspire the community to shop local, consume consciously, and engage personally with ethical Australian fashion, beauty and lifestyle brands.
We are fierce environmentalists, working towards a positive fashion future through the work we do every day at The Fashion Advocate e-boutique, through the content we publish on our blog, and through our social presence. We believe a sustainable, circular fashion future is possible, whereby waste is recycled and reused, and the impact of the fashion industry is only positive. We advocate for ethical working conditions, fair trade, and social equality.
The International Organisation for Standardisation defines Corporate Social Responsibility as the responsibility of an organisation for the impacts of its decisions and activities on society and the environment, through transparent and ethical behaviour.
The Fashion Advocate upholds our ethical responsibilities by:
- Ensuring every label listed online at The Fashion Advocate adheres to ethical working conditions within their manufacturing supply chain.
- Ensuring every label listed online at The Fashion Advocate signs and agrees to our community guidelines.
- Ensuring every label listed online at The Fashion Advocate provides the details of all manufacturing and material sourcing partners.
- Ensuring every label listed online at The Fashion Advocate embraces a combination of the following; ethical manufacturing, local sourcing, transparent operation, local loop methods, social enterprise focus, Fairtrade sourcing, child-labour free manufacturing, and fair wages.
- Ensuring that every interview, collaboration, content project or promotion is in partnership with a business who shares our values and ethical stance.
- Paying our staff for the work they contribute to The Fashion Advocate unless otherwise obtained through internships or work experience.
The Fashion Advocate upholds our sustainability responsibilities by:
- Eliminating plastic within our Head Office operations.
- Utilising home-compostable plastic-free packaging for all online orders.
- Ensuring every label listed online at The Fashion Advocate embraces a combination of the following; recycled or recyclable fabrics, low waste manufacturing, Australian textiles, sustainable production, certified organic fabrics, vegan fabrics, cruelty-free materials, and environmental management policies.
- Ensuring all procedures and operational methods conducted at our Head Office utilise environmentally friendly materials and products, and recycling is an utmost priority.
- Partnering with the TerraCycle recycling program to reduce our environmental impact and recycle our used goods.
The Fashion Advocate upholds our social responsibilities by:
- Working with all members and businesses within the community regardless of age, sex, religion, nationality or ability.
- Donating $2 from every sale to three Australian charities to support and empower women.
- Working with a minimum of one charity per year on a major project to assist with fundraising for an aligned cause.
- Offering employment opportunities to members of the local community.
- Promoting various ethical, sustainable and social causes to the wider community to encourage positive change.
- Working with local businesses and independently owned labels to foster good relationships among the Australian creative industry.
Each and every label listed online at The Fashion Advocate abides by our community guidelines which state, ‘All workers are paid fair wages, offered safe working conditions and ensured workers’ rights throughout the entire design, sourcing and manufacturing phase, to maximise the benefits to people and communities while minimising the impact on the environment.’
To learn more about The Fashion Advocate's ten values, click here.