The 2023 Fashion Transparency Index is out and it is ugly.

Every year, Fashion Revolution releases its Fashion Transparency Report to summarise the social and environmental impact of some of the fashion industry's biggest players. The 2023 report reveals a handful of historic highs and improvements industry-wide, but it also reveals some of the most disappointing lows too. 

Fashion doesn’t have to be this way. Fashion can be a force for good. Fashion can change the world. Good, ethical, sustainable, circular and slow fashion can solve the problems we’ve created with fast fashion.

Here's a snap shot of the ugliest truths from this year's report...

94% of brands won’t reveal what fossil fuels are being used in their supply chain, partly because they don't know, and partly because they do - and they're not proud of it. Coal-powered fashion manufacturing facilities are a big environmental threat, so it's no wonder they want to keep it under wraps.

Only 7% of major fashion brands disclose their waste water test results, and it's because the other 93% don't want this information leaking. The dyeing of fast fashion is a water-intensive and chemical-intensive process, and run off water has a monumental impact on our biodiversity and marine life. The 93% of brands who don't disclose their waste water test results - know that what they're dyeing and what they're doing, isn't good.

Reebok, Billabong, Roxy and Quiksilver refused to be reviewed this year, and that's an easy one to work out why.

And just 1% of workers in major fashion brands are being paid a living wage, which is the worst reveal of the entire report.

There are of course a few wins for the fashion industry and yes, a few things have changed, but when it comes to major fashion brands and the big players who pump most of the fashion out that most of us buy, there’s a long way to go.

So how do we fix it? What do we do? What’s the positive spin on all this doom and gloom?

If you’re running an ethical, sustainable, circular or slow fashion business, you have to lead by example. You have a powerful opportunity to use fashion as a force for good. Make sustainable business choices and pay ethical wages. Slow down and be conscious about what you design and what you make. Think collectively and think about the bigger picture, not just the sales here and now, because if we're going to have a shred of an industry or an earth to live on fifty years from now - the future of fashion has to be sustainable.

Building a sustainable fashion business that makes the world a better place and makes you money at the same time is entirely doable. Profit and purpose can exist together. Fashion isn’t bad, fast fashion is bad.

If you want to learn more about using your fashion business as a force for good, work with me. I'll show you how!

Claire x

The Fashion Advocate Fashion Revolution Fashion Transparency Report 2023.png

The Fashion Advocate ethical sustainable circular slow fashion business strategy mentor online course marketing how to

I spent my first five years in business stressed and in debt.

If you're feeling overwhelmed, stressed, or if you're not making enough sales to survive, you're not alone. I've been there.

I was exhausted and I wanted to quit.

Then I worked out a strategy that dramatically changed my business, increased my sales, and saved me time. I want to share it with you!


Want to know the top three ways to grow a successful and sustainable fashion brand?


    Every week on Instagram, you can ask me anything about fashion, business, ethical manufacturing, sustainability, and growth to get the answers you need to overcome challenges. Marketing, PR, your strategy, sales, how to wholesale, Instagram engagement, customers, sourcing... Whatever it is, ask me your questions and I'll go LIVE on Instagram with the answers you need to move forward.



    To build a successful, sustainable and profitable fashion business, you have to empower yourself with knowledge and learn from others in the industry. I ran one of the largest online stores for ethical and sustainable fashion for over a decade, and I learned the ins and outs and the rights and wrongs of building a business. Now I'm sharing my strategies on my blog so you can take what you need to grow!



    The only difference between a big fashion business and a small fashion business is a different skillset. Everything your competitors know - you can learn. My online courses and masterclasses are specifically designed for ethical and sustainable fashion brands, labels and businesses, so you can build your skillset, level up, fast-track your success and increase your impact.